Planning and Development

Eastern District Planning Commission

On July 3rd, the Town of Antigonish will begin a partnership for planning, building, and fire inspection services with the Eastern District Planning Commission (EDPC). What does this mean for you as a resident or a developer? Read on to find out!

Q: What is the Eastern District Planning Commission?

Established in 1991, the Eastern District Planning Commission provides planning, subdivision and building and fire inspection services in northeastern Nova Scotia, and, in addition to the Town of Antigonish, covers the Town of Port Hawkesbury, and the counties of Inverness, Richmond, Victoria, and Antigonish. It is based out of Port Hawkesbury (32 Paint Street, Unit 4, Port Hawkesbury, NS, B9A 3J8). 

Q: If I have a general question about matters related to planning, building, or inspection services, who do I call?

Commission staff are happy to assist you if you have any questions about any matters related to planning, building, or inspections. The front desk of the Eastern District Planning Commission (888-625-5361) will direct your request to the appropriate specialist.

Q: How can I set up a face-to-face meeting to discuss planning, building, or inspection matters?

At the present time, the Commission will hold regular planning office hours, based out of Town Hall (3rd floor, 274 Main Street) on Wednesdays, 8:30am to 4:30pm. Building and inspection-related services will be available Thursdays, 8:30am to 4:30pm.

It is recommended that you make an appointment in advance. Appointments can be made by calling Darlene Halfpenny at Town Hall at 902-867-5575.

All inquiries outside of regular office hours can be made by calling the Commission directly.

Q: Will the Town’s by-laws, policies, and land use regulations still apply to my project?

While the Commission will be providing planning, building, and inspection services, they will do so in accordance with all the Town’s existing policies, by-laws, and land use regulations.

Q: I am looking for a permit application – what application do I use and where do I submit it?

Permit applications can be obtained in Town Hall from the Office of Engineering and Public Works (2nd floor, Town Hall, 274 Main Street) or can be accessed from the Commission’s website.

When preparing your application, please consider the nature of your project and inquire with our team about the permits that may be required. For projects that require changes to municipal services (such as water, storm or sanitary sewer, driveway access or street work), a Municipal Services Permit administered by our Department of Engineering and Public Works will be required. Development or building permits that require changes to or inclusion of these services will not be issued until a Municipal Services Permit is acquired.

Q: Will the Town’s permit fees change?

The Town’s fees will change under the Commission. For a complete listing of fees, please visit the Eastern District Planning Commission's website

Q: To whom do I pay permit fees?

Any payments can be made payable to the Town of Antigonish. Payments will be accepted at Town Hall (1st floor, 274 Main Street) for all permit applications.

Q: How do I arrange for an inspection to take place?

Our building inspectors are assigned to specific areas serviced by the Commission. Appointments can be made by calling Darlene Halfpenny at Town Hall at 902-867-5575.

Q: I’ve noticed an unsightly property – who do I call?

Our By-law Enforcement Office will continue to be the main point of contact for matters related to garbage, litter or an unkept property, or perceived violations of residential minimum standards established by the Town.

Q: I have a complaint about services – who do I contact?

If you are experiencing any issues related to the delivery of planning, building, or inspection services, please direct your complaints to the Commission: 1-888-625-5361. Issues can be directed to the Director of the Commission, Mr. John Bain.

Additional Questions?

Do you still have questions about our planning, building, and inspection services? If we haven’t answered all of your questions, please contact our Chief Administrative Officer and we will work to address any questions or concerns you may have.

Chief Administrative Officer: Jeff Lawrence
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ,
Phone: 902-867-5576

antigonish crest

Get in Touch

Town of Antigonish
274 Main Street
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Canada B2G 2C4

Phone: (902) 863-2351
Fax: (902) 863-0460 / (902) 863-9201

Town Hall hours: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm